MoEngage has revealed the results of a survey focused on consumers’ expectations of how brands leverage personalization to interact with them. The report, The Personalization Pulse Check Report 2023, polled 2,000 consumers across North America to learn more about the kinds of messages customers expect to receive from their favorite brands, how often, and which engagement channels they prefer.
The results underscore deeper personalization’s increasing role in engaging customers and fostering long-term loyalty.
This is the second edition of the MoEngage report. In the 2021 edition, MoEngage found that consistent, relevant messaging across multiple channels was the number one challenge for consumer brand marketers.
This year’s report shows that customers prefer to hear more frequently from brands than previously believed, provided that the messages brands send them are highly personalized with relevant offers, discounts, or loyalty rewards. In fact, 41% of North American consumers surveyed said that they wish to receive weekly updates from their favorite brands, and 58% of consumers are frustrated with brands that offer generic and inconsistent messaging.
“Finding the solution to winning customer loyalty can be daunting for brand marketers. To do it well, marketers need to leverage customer data based on prior browsing and shopping behaviors to inform their customer engagement strategies,” said Raviteja Dodda, CEO of MoEngage. “Consumers are making it clear what they want and expect from brands. It’s up to marketers to deliver that experience to keep them coming back.”
Overall, there are still more improvements brands must make to ensure they are delivering a consistent, personalized experience for consumers. According to the research, 31.9% are of consumers are frustrated by brands that send too frequent or too few communications. Most of consumers’ frustration stems from a lack of strategic customer engagement. Additionally, the research found:
- 32.3% of consumers choose one brand over another if the communication is unrelated to their current shopping behavior
- 53.6% of consumers interact more than three times with a brand before buying from them
- 56% of consumers want a curated shopping experience
- 66% of consumers are comfortable or slightly comfortable with sharing their data including name, location, and email.
The MoEngage report also sheds light on:
- Attributes that delight consumers about a brand experience
- Factors that lead consumers to choosing one brand over another
- Leading indicators of the number of engagement touchpoints and preferred channels of engagement before buying
- Viewpoints of sharing personal data in exchange for personalized experiences